News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Off-Topic
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Talk about whatever.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 07-03-2016
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Help! Windows 10 woes

Alright, bit of an issue with my PC and I'm hoping that maybe one of you fine folks can cast a light.

Windows was all fine and dandy, had to boot off my old (broken) windows 7 HDD to chuck some stuff on a USB stick, following the return to my 10 install it asked for a disk check which I cunningly skipped for a week.

Roll on today and being all distracted I forgot to skip it, now it looks fucked. Most of my start up programs crash, start menu doesnt work, can't make new users and I can't run most programs. It's a sorry state of affairs.

Any suggestions? I had thought it might be the user profile being wanked but as I can't make new profiles I can't test that out..
Old 07-04-2016
Developer

Saulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond repute
Does the system seem stable in safe mode? I assume you were dual booting (don't like doing that personally).

If it's stable in safe mode it's likely a driver/update causing the issue, I would try to run the windows updates if you can.

You can do an OS repair under the windows 10 tools I believe but that factory resets the installation.

If your original Windows 10 install was not from scratch, I highly advocate doing this.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 07-04-2016
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't dual boot, had two different drives one with 7 and one with 10. Tried all the restore options but get lots of errors, going to have to be reset. Arse.
Old 07-04-2016
Developer

Saulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond repute
Well you can run the disk check again, it might not have repaired everything. It's possible you have a legitimate mechanical issue with the drive -- did the drive check come up after a crash or hard shut-down? If the answer is no this points more to a physical issue.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 07-04-2016
Administrator

I think the windows 7 boot ran a disk check and messed something up on the 10 drive which is why 10s been asking to check since.
Old 07-04-2016
Developer

I would be surprised if the disk check caused a problem, NTFS is still the same filesystem whether it's Windows XP or Windows 10, the disk check should not do anything to cause an issue on the filesystem even if Windows 7 scanned it.

I would let Windows 10 do the disk check and see if it repairs anything, otherwise it might just be easier to do a clean install if you aren't getting anywhere.

George Carlin
Old 07-04-2016
Administrator

The reset seems to have worked, but at the cost of all the programs I had installed, which is a real fucking pain in the ass. Ah well, at least it's working again!
Old 07-04-2016
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubtful View Post
The reset seems to have worked, but at the cost of all the programs I had installed, which is a real fucking pain in the ass. Ah well, at least it's working again!
Well, invest in an ext USB and do a system backup. You can do image level backups in Windows 10 -- get everything tuned just right, then snapshot it.

George Carlin
Old 07-06-2016
Administrator

Computer's stil being wierd, hoping it's an account based issue (lots of faffing about with permissions since the reset) and if all else fails I'll do a fresh install once I have suitable broadband and time (I lack both of those right now).

Another request; does anyone have NWN2 on Steam? If so, could you screenshot and let me know the file structure of the steamapps bit and the mydocuments bit?

Need to fudge it so I end up downloading the bare minimum, thanks muchly!
Old 07-06-2016
Nobility

MyNameIsDave is a jewel in the roughMyNameIsDave is a jewel in the roughMyNameIsDave is a jewel in the rough
Is this what you're looking for Doubtful?

Edit: Annd the attachments didn't work. Sending it via PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Documents.jpg (157 Bytes, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Steam Apps.jpg (157 Bytes, 2 views)
Ronus Stonewall - Dwarven Pathfinder - Drunken Scout of Whurest

Last edited by MyNameIsDave; 07-07-2016 at 12:41 AM.