News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Off-Topic
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Talk about whatever.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-09-2015
Legendary Hero

thaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant future
Sword Coast

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32...snr=1_4_4__100

Aside from the huge amount of work it would take, would it be possible to import Sundren into this?

Previous Characters: Altherion Goldleaf, Silverleaf, Lanathas El'thariel
Old 06-09-2015
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Afaik, no. It's not like NWN In terms of scope or ability, yes you can have DMs but only in pre existing areas, DMs have to earn DM points in order to spawn traps and monsters.

Unreal or even Unity would be a better option for replacing Sundren with a dynamic and interesting multiplayer world. More work up front but a better end result.

Plus, using Unreal or something you'd be able to liberate yourself from the D&D mechanics that cause most of the problems and create a really enjoyable new IP for people to play in.
Old 06-09-2015
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
I know, I was thinking the same thing Thaelis, I think I brought this up a few months ago. But in a thread not about the game. Pretty big bummer.
Old 06-09-2015
Legendary Hero

Fateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to all
Yeah ... this game seems to want to put DMs and players in adversarial positions, in some kind of competition. No focus on storytelling ... I was pretty disappointed.
Old 06-11-2015
Legendary Hero

thaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant future
Boo! Also I was pretty excited to see a Pathfinder Online game, before seeing there is no free/trial option...just $35+ for a NWN2-esque graphics game in the (Alpha?) stage. Not to mention they have $1000 and $5000 tiers ha! You would have to have some serious money to waste to purchase that.

I wouldn't even pay that for a Sundren revamp! (I would pay about ~$100-200, but I think even that probably wouldn't suffice right?)

How much does it cost to buy Unity anyway?

Previous Characters: Altherion Goldleaf, Silverleaf, Lanathas El'thariel
Old 06-11-2015
Nobility

kovah has a spectacular aura aboutkovah has a spectacular aura about
I throw (small amounts of) money at Saulus every time he asks. I haven't actually "played" this game in forever, beyond logging in and running around to check-out the physical changes like flying cities and shit.

That said, I, for one, would save and throw even more for an update beyond the current NWN2 Engine. I suck at RolePlaying but I LOVE this world and community that you all have built and will support the shit out of it for as long as I am able. While still likely not playing due to the aforementioned suckage.

Also, stop locking the drama threads!

/back to lurk mode

Last edited by kovah; 06-11-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2015
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
It's a bummer. The DM client just looks dire, you're a twinkling little light that the players can always see. Nice, a big FUCK YOU! to immersion, great start. the DM has to earn DM points by setting players challenges that the players then overcome, your spawns/traps are limited by the Threat points available to you. Much of the DM/Player interaction seems to be real-time, so no hours of pre-setup to tweak the dungeon for maximum flavour and RP goodness, just a flurry of action as you try to keep ahead of players.

The DM client in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm8r05oOiKA

But hey, you can possess boss class monsters.. Woooooo! Fuck, that really deserves the First-Of-A-Kind stuff they're shouting about. Limited creature set per dungeon, random zone generation,

Toolset? Maybe, though there's been NO screenshots, leaks or conformation of any kind. Things such as 'Pre-order and get X monster and Tileset' don't inspire much confidence. A few vague hints (the first steam Video makes mention of "Randomly created dungeons or a campaign of your own creation") are all you've got. Though, we'll see - The Video I linked above says the Campaign Creation will be demonstrated in the coming months, maybe I'm wrong. With E3 just a few days away it's possible we'll see more news filtering out.

Personally, I've pretty much had it with hanging out for a future NWN though. Honestly, we already have things far, far more powerful at our fingertips.

Unreal 4 - 4.8's just been released and it's stonking. It's a personal preference, but I find Unreal much easier and friendlier to use than Unity, plus Unreal comes with a lot of handy extra's for higher-tek folk that you don't need to fork out an extra $75 a month for. Unreal Engine 4.8 and the basic Unity option are both free.

Asset creation would be a hurdle, but the internet is full of stuff you can get legitimately for free and if you want to make your own stuff then you're spoiled for choice with free (Blender) or low cost (Maya LT, Houdini Indie, Modo Indie.

The trick would be in getting a capable enough team together of volunteers to work on a coherent project, ideally something you could roll out in coherent stages, without dancing on the coattails of anyone's existing IP (unless you can afford licencing or enjoy being in court)
Old 06-11-2015
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
Don't forget you have to preorder the 60 dollar digital delux version to have access to ... of all things ... Beholders? I'm assuming that they're assuming that Beholders are the most iconic to D&D. I haven't given it much thought but I suppose Beholders could take that cake.

Last edited by Mournas; 06-11-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2015
Adventurer

Taintedglory is a jewel in the roughTaintedglory is a jewel in the roughTaintedglory is a jewel in the rough
Well, Beholders and Mindflayers are copyrighted by WoTC so.. I guess that makes beholders iconic, because they cant be used in any other game system legally
Old 06-11-2015
Nobility

gamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to behold
The game design makes dm side seem like it just encourages the mindset of wiping the players which is really troll, even though that guy in the video trys to state otherwise.