News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Website > Polls
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Archive of polls held on the site.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
View Poll Results: How do you feel about Sundren's Leveling Pace?
It's too fast. 10 18.52%
It's just right. 29 53.70%
It's too slow. 15 27.78%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2014
Administrator

Lotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant future
How Do You Feel about Sundren's Leveling Pace?

Per the subject, we're looking for feedback on the pace at which new PCs level on Sundren.

We think that players are missing a lot of the server's content due to the rapid pace at which characters can level on Sundren. That's a shame, given how pretty our server is.

We're also concerned that PCs are hitting epic levels without epic backgrounds; mechanically powerful PCs don't have the opportunity for enriching events that illustrate the PC's growth from novice adventurer to renowned Sundarian personality when the leveling treadmill is so quickly completed.

Finally, we think that PCs would remain mechanically interesting longer, independent of RP, if the rate of advancement were curbed.

So, how do you feel about Sundren's leveling pace? Please choose a poll option, and comments are welcome.
Old 06-24-2014
Hero

Elusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud of
I think it's fine, with the exception of epic levels. I feel that entry into epic levels should require DM approval, because as you said, there are epic level characters that aren't epic, whether by plot or background. There are also characters that are epic, but don't have epic levels because they spent more time RPing.

On the flip side, I can see the argument for leveling being too fast. Leveling should be part of RP, and right now it's not. Rather, leveling is something done so you can act badass when you do RP.

I have a few suggestions: First, bump up the RP exp. 30 exp ticks are a joke when you can go out and kill 3 mobs instead. Second, decrease the bonus exp for defeating mobs that have a higher level than you. The reason I say this is because power-builds, who are often (but not always) RP minimalists, can breeze through levels because their builds are just that broken. Or else they exploit some loophole in the mechanics.
Old 06-24-2014
Administrator

Lotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant futureLotus has a brilliant future
Quote:
I think it's fine, with the exception of epic levels. I feel that entry into epic levels should require DM approval
That's how we used to do it, but unfortunately, our DM coverage waxes and wanes, and we seldom have the staff necessary to cover all of the timezones. For that reason, the daily quests were implemented to give PCs a means to progress into the epics without DM intervention. I would describe the dailies as "works in progress" in regards to difficulty, structure, and reward.
Old 06-24-2014
Hero

Elusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud ofElusa has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That's how we used to do it, but unfortunately, our DM coverage waxes and wanes, and we seldom have the staff necessary to cover all of the timezones.
Yeah, I was around during that time. There were also problems with non-factioned characters getting shafted and multi-hour events that gave a paltry amount of exp. What I meant was a one-time approval, after which dailies would give exp beyond level 20.
Old 06-24-2014
Administrator

Yeah, but there again, the whole timezone thing. It's just not worth alienating our non-left-side-of-the-Atlantic players.
Old 06-24-2014
Legendary Hero

Jhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant futureJhickey has a brilliant future
I have to go with just right. I really don't see an issue in it because it is at it is up to the player how they are going to play their PC. I have seen both side of the coin, it took me over 2 years to level Datton to 20. While it took me less than a year to level up one of my alts to 20. I didn't mind either pace as they were two differing situations. One was my main and I took great pride in how he was developing and what I want out of him, and my alts are often there to give me a reason to just get on and enjoy the game, play with friends who are attempting to level their PCs. Use them to see and experience different zones that I don't see that often.

At the end of the day it is up to the player, what is fun for him/her, and how they are going to enjoy the game. If someone wants to power build and steam through to epic levels, so be it. If they want to build their PC through RP, so be it. If for some reason you don't enjoy playing that style, don't. It is that simple.
Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
Dorin Hammond- Scout
Seith Ronson- Master of War
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
Socrates

Old 06-24-2014
Nobility

gamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to beholdgamestarmike is a splendid one to behold
I would say leveling past 10 is at a good pace, im enjoying it all again as I relevel Tyranus back to 20. Going through all of Argyle again was a lot of fun and I even explored the giant tower on top of the hill, that place was cool! I'd only recommend someone look over the inside buildings in the village and I think that place would be 100%!

3-9 should get looked over though, maybe increasing the exp to match the higher level grind, that way people stay around the lower levels longer and if the staff had the time to supplement that longer grind with more lower level rp content then im sure it get around to where staff would like the pace and fine tune it as time goes.

Old 06-24-2014
Hero

Fuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to behold
It took me about 6 months to get Chime to 20. I did tons of RP, though it was not the world changing sort of RP with events and all that. Mostly it was just character to character stuff. It was more the sort of thing that establishes personality and makes her known to the various other characters.

I do agree that there is a rather odd imbalance at the epic levels at times. My thoughts are less on changing the leveling though. I would rather see the established characters get rewarded for making a reputation. I don't know if there is a good way to do that or not.
Old 06-25-2014
Legendary Hero

thaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant future
It really all depends on what class you are and what timezone. As a Swashbuckler/EK it took less than 3 months to hit twenty, and that was in a poor timezone where I was alone on the server much of the time. My other characters were markedly more torturous to level (Ranger and Wizard), but still reached twenty in well under 6 months.

Epic levels, I have no idea. Personally I only got 1/20th the way to level 21 since the inception of the Epic quest, but again I think that's a timezone issue.

I voted "Too fast" because I've seen people hit 20 in <2 weeks, but from what I'm reading here perhaps they were just anomalies...

Previous Characters: Altherion Goldleaf, Silverleaf, Lanathas El'thariel
Old 06-25-2014
Administrator

Three people who know what they're doing could hit 20 inside of a week very easily.