News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Sundren General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sundren General Discussion General Discussion about Sundren.

Subforum: Sundren Custom Content RP Schedule

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-14-2016
Nobility

AsuraKing is a name known to allAsuraKing is a name known to allAsuraKing is a name known to allAsuraKing is a name known to allAsuraKing is a name known to allAsuraKing is a name known to all
Names, how do you come up with yours?

Character names are one of my favorite parts of RPing, I just love coming up with a fun, cool, and interesting name for a character. So I was wondering, how does everyone else come up with their characters names? Do you just use that random button? Do you just wing it and make it out of thin air? Or some other way?

Personally the way I come up with names has changed over time from me being lazy and just slightly changing the random button, to using research into RL cultural names or sometimes even variations of latin words.

That is, unless I make a gnome, then I make it up on my own and make it intentionally the most fun name to read I can :P
Shafiq Khil'joko: Zakharan myrkulite.

My tomb of old toons:
Cruven Schlachten - Blood Reaver of Garagos, Blackwood Company Elite, Hellstrom Head of Security
Marcus Waynard- Horned Harbinger, fear his best bud Frank!... and Jim, Bob, Sue, and Jane...
Davlamin Frostfoot - Frosty Snowflake, the Frozen Fist of Auril, sworn enemy of the Second Wind fire pit.

Click here to see the full image of my avatar, by Algido.
Old 04-14-2016
Legendary Hero

Kasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant future
I tend to use names from the real world equivalent of where my character's come from. Anasath was a bit of an exception, her name is a modified middle-eastern, egyptian name Asenat. Her name was originally Asenat, though I sort of westernized it as her 'rebirth' name she took after becoming a priestess of Lathander.

But yeah, Aesa is from Norse mythology meaning Goddess.

Gabrielle is a French name meaning woman of god.

Chione was again Egyptian because of her Mulan ancestry.

Taking real world equivalent's is my way of coming up with character names. I tend to put more of a flair of 'destiny' around the name meaning if the character is religious or holy. So Aesa's name is just a name for a barbarian, Gabrielle was more fitting for a warrior of god.

Formerly
Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8
Old 04-14-2016
Hero

Intrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant future
In Forgotten Realms settings, I tend to use the sections on dwarven naming in the old 2e supplement FR11 "Dwarves Deep" as a guide.

Almost all the NPC dwarven population in dwarven holds probably have fairly standard dwarfy names. For outlaws, exiles, the clan-less, adventurers and other unusual sorts, dwarves who grew up in human lands, and those travelling through human lands, almost anything goes, including suitable human names.

If I wanted to finesse it I would just enter the primary name into the NWN2 engine, and add various qualifiers such as clan name to suit the situation during chat. But when it comes to the crunch, I keep entering the clan name during character creation. Otherwise, it feels like I'm stripping the character of their clan, which just feels plain wrong. Maybe next time.
Old 04-14-2016
Nobility

Sparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud ofSparkie has much to be proud of
For me, it's one of three things: A) I have a name pop into my head while I'm making a character, and I'll just roll with it. B) I'll just hit random name, and change something about it, or C) I'll take a look around the room, and the first word I can turn into a name that I see I go with. Not the best processes in the word, but they're what I go with.
Old 04-14-2016
Hero

nezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to beholdnezzerscape is a splendid one to behold
I typically get IC in RL and start creating a voice that fits the toon (yes I do voices IRL). This also helps me to form the character's personality. I have even been known to build toons around voices I do.

I will sometimes look up names and scroll though lists till I feel inspired.
  • Elandra: Was a variant of Yolanda, a friend of mine that gave me the basis of her personality. (Nezzerscape is the name of my PC stolen from the Matrix nebuchadnezzar)
  • Alexandra: Stemmed form the lore I build around Elandra. The name had to be similar but different.
  • Yodglum: This toon was based off of Yoda, I started doing his voice and then came up the idea.
  • Ash: I started off with an old voice, then as I was speaking the words "Old Ash" came up and thus the name.
Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same
Old 04-14-2016
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
I take fractions of words and smash them together: (A+Candle+Slain) +(Draconian+Dove) = Andelain Dovenian
Old 04-15-2016
Hero

Memnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to behold
I usually sit back and visualize my character. I begin to hear them speak on who they are and let them tell me their name. Weird but true.
Old 04-15-2016
Hero

Fuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to beholdFuzziebunny is a splendid one to behold
I usually pick a name that seems to fit what I want my character to be.
Old 04-16-2016
Legendary Hero

cmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant futurecmosier has a brilliant future
Sacrifice lesser names to the Name Gods and heed their wisdom.

If you're searching the lines for a point
Well, you've probably missed it
There was never anything there
In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic
Old 04-16-2016
Nobility

jarlexel is a jewel in the roughjarlexel is a jewel in the roughjarlexel is a jewel in the rough
I use other people's name from people i know.