News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Greeting
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Greeting New to the forum? Post your greeting here!

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 06-17-2017
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculus View Post
I am pretty sure multiple builds of the mod were kept in storage for such things. If the old builds weren't kept for future use then that would be bad programming practices. Always keep backups of alphas and betas of legacy mods. Prequel could be set at the point of the legacy ones. Other than that the project should go open source. A collaboration of the community can do great things, if not a new development team to keep things fresh. As Torgar said in another thread it has been nearly a year of no promises kept. Let the reins be given to the community then to continue the project.

http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthr...=24426&page=17
Wait, what?

The changes required to implement a large step back in time have nothing to do with keeping or storing old builds at all (and yes, on account of not being idiots we have a decent Versioning system). Reverting all the areas back to how they were at the start would A: Make things uglier and B: Move the server back to its initial date, not prequel land. It'd be like an 'Also Starring' thing where your characters get up to stuff while the history that already happened with other players happens along side. Like that episode DS9 episode with the tribbles, but terrible and forever.

Development wise moving time forward is in many ways easier - Areas mostly develop, get busier and expand. You're taking an area and moving it forward based on how it's grown from its current state (or giving it a large overhaul and saying it was always like that).

Going backwards is more difficult, especially if you go back to a point in Sundrens timeline that's actually worth exploring. Once you hit the 'I remember when all this was just fields' stage you're better off binning the area and redesigning from scratch using the existing as inspiration only. Go back a few hundred years and it's all 'Sestra? Didn't exist, bin. Aquor? Just a pretty lake, burn the zones. Mossdale? Undiscovered, on the bonfire. Black Hand and Triumvirate? Haven't arrived, delete. Avanthyr? Building site, bury the current maps. Mirakus? Two prospectors and a donkey, destroy. Sundren City? No longer a bustling built up brick metropolis but angry desperate frontier town. In the fire.'

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a prequel exploring the brutal and bloody birth of the nation and exploration of a new and hostile land. Back when we were discussing what to do with the wipe I was pushing hard for it to be a prequel. Luckily people slapped some sense into me and we went forward rather than back. Just the work for the move forward turned out to be a huuuuge amount of work, but that pales in comparison to what would be required to shift the clock backwards!

Anyway, yeah. Prequel workload has fuck all to do with how we handle the server versions.

Other than that... I don't know where to start apart from to reiterate that we hoped, rather than promised, to get things done in a timely matter. I was going to be all sarcastic here but I won't. Don't bang on about it, life happens. Please don't be a dick about it.

Open Source, explained that before (and I'm not convinced 'Open Source' is the right licensing model to try and apply to a project like Sundren). But I'll agree that we'll Open Source Sundren just as soon as the NWN2 engine is open sourced.
Old 06-18-2017
Adventurer

Sunset Fallow is a jewel in the roughSunset Fallow is a jewel in the roughSunset Fallow is a jewel in the rough
I hope this doesn't sound terribly na´ve, but if the server were reverted back to very early versions, could there be a problem with implementations of characters and certain abilities not quite working as expected or perhaps causing crashes, etc?
Old 06-18-2017
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe, but a the wipe would mean characters with removed classes wouldn't be around to cause issues.

Regardless reverting back to an earlier version wont be happening because it would fail to achieve the desired objective.
Old 06-20-2017
Nobility

jarlexel is a jewel in the roughjarlexel is a jewel in the roughjarlexel is a jewel in the rough
Will log in, level a toon and rp a little if that happens
Old 06-22-2017
Hero

Memnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to behold
Any news from Saulus? It seems like there is some interest in a vault wipe. Just do it. We all seem to be Ok with that. If anyone doesn't agree now is the time to speak up.
Old 06-22-2017
Legendary Hero

Kasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant future
Discord has a dozen or so players in it now Memnoch. Doubtful is basically nailing in a few last bits and getting the wipe good to go.

Formerly
Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8
Old 06-23-2017
Commoner

MagnusOpus will become famous soon enough
Very nice, glad to see the scroll of resurrection worked.
Old 06-24-2017
Hero

Memnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to beholdMemnoch1962 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasso View Post
Discord has a dozen or so players in it now Memnoch. Doubtful is basically nailing in a few last bits and getting the wipe good to go.
I know I'm missing something, Discord?
Old 06-25-2017
Legendary Hero

Kasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant futureKasso has a brilliant future
There's another thread about it in a link, it's a catch-all chat program that doesn't take up too much CPU. Basically skype but better, but without video calls.

Formerly
Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8