News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Sundren General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sundren General Discussion General Discussion about Sundren.

Subforum: Sundren Custom Content RP Schedule

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-16-2016
Legendary Hero

Thief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mournas View Post
I take fractions of words and smash them together: (A+Candle+Slain) +(Draconian+Dove) = Andelain Dovenian
I like that 😯

Normally I take the character in mind and give them a stereotype then figure out a name based on that.

I wanted my rogues name to have a Victorian feel thus Lester. If I make a warrior who uses an axe I might go for something Old Norse. If I'm making a necromancer I might want to go with something eastern european. A shaman I would probably be looking at something African. I also use names from mythology and literature but go for less obvious ones; Harvard instead of Odin or Orolin instead of gandalf.
Old 04-16-2016
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
For NPCs I'll often have to come up with names quickly, which is sad because I'm terrible at it. While I like to avoid nominative determinism as a player (though frequently don't) I'm less careful with NPCs - Though it's always good to avoid going the full Dickens and rolling NPCs like "Chumly Niceguy" or "Draco Badcrook".

Otherwise it's just sounds that work together to create a nice sounding mess.

Lastly, if I'm in a real pinch then I'll just have people defined by role (something that having just read the Annihilation/Authority/Acceptance trilogy by Jeff VanderMeer makes me chuckle a bit more), though normally with the Welsh twist of Jones. Jones the Baker, Jones the Smith, Jones the Butcher, Jones the Sociopath, etc, etc..
Old 04-16-2016
Adventurer

DM Inquisition will become famous soon enough
Lots of whiskey
Old 04-16-2016
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
I like that 😯

Normally I take the character in mind and give them a stereotype then figure out a name based on that.

I wanted my rogues name to have a Victorian feel thus Lester. If I make a warrior who uses an axe I might go for something Old Norse. If I'm making a necromancer I might want to go with something eastern european. A shaman I would probably be looking at something African. I also use names from mythology and literature but go for less obvious ones; Harvard instead of Odin or Orolin instead of gandalf.
Thanks. For Elfs I use the Dragon Magazine that has the elf name generator in it. Really good resource. All the suffix and prefixes for the names have meanings and I tend to base my name off the character idea. http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html That's the one for Elfs there's another one for Drow. I think Intrepid even mentioned there might be one similar to this for Dwarfs.
Old 04-17-2016
Hero

Lugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant futureLugwy has a brilliant future
I steal.

Sometimes, I mangle them afterwards.
Old 04-17-2016
Legendary Hero

Fateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to allFateful Encounter is a name known to all
I try to hint subtly (or sometimes not subtly) at some characteristic of the character.

Then, i'll discover later that the name I chose was also the name of a monster of the week on Power Rangers. >_<
Old 04-19-2016
Adventurer

Rekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of light
Naming a character takes me forever. I basically take names from everywhere: history, novels, languages. One of my Sundren characters as an example:

Mircalla Mirabel, Colibrite
Mircalla is an anagram of Carmilla, from J.T.S. Le Fanu's fantastic novella of the same name. In his setting, vampires can only give anagrams of their names as false names, so the titular character introduces herself as Mircalla and Millarca at various points.

Mirabel is the surname of a character in Alastair Reynold's Chasm City, namely Tanner Mirabel. A point is made of the character having a commoner's first name and an aristocrat's surname.

Put them together and you have a Colibrite agent with aspirations of nobility.
Old 04-19-2016
Hero

Fury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant futureFury has a brilliant future
I tend to think of the character, and what their background may be. Is it human? Human of humble origins, or perhaps high born? An elf? A dwarf? Each one will require a very different name, and a different sound quality to them.

Sound factors heavily in my decisions, as does the way the letters look together. And too, an unusual, not commonplace name that may have a particularly lovely sound to it.

Or, when that fails?

Birds.

"Timing is the main difference between being a hero, and being an asshole" -River

"Nothing says "I matter" quite like having a price on your head" -Sandro

Old 04-19-2016
Adventurer

DM Inquisition will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
I tend to think of the character, and what their background may be. Is it human? Human of humble origins, or perhaps high born? An elf? A dwarf? Each one will require a very different name, and a different sound quality to them.

Sound factors heavily in my decisions, as does the way the letters look together. And too, an unusual, not commonplace name that may have a particularly lovely sound to it.

Or, when that fails?

Birds.
You named your best character after a noun and an adjective. No birds were involved in the making of that name:P
Old 04-19-2016
Adventurer

Rekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of lightRekov is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Inquisition View Post
You named your best character after a noun and an adjective. No birds were involved in the making of that name:P
Swift is a bird, silly!