News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Website > Polls
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Archive of polls held on the site.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
View Poll Results: How difficult are Sundren's encounters to you?
THE PAIN! Please tone them down! OUCH OUCH! 4 6.56%
They're just a tad hard. 28 45.90%
Just right, don't change a thing. 23 37.70%
They're weak, watch me mop this Wraith Knight up 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2007
Hero

Rhifox is a name known to allRhifox is a name known to allRhifox is a name known to allRhifox is a name known to allRhifox is a name known to allRhifox is a name known to all
I'd say that PvE encounters are fairly hard. As a player who prefers to solo when grinding, I've been met with much pain and, because of that, been forced to really learn how to play my class. Prior to playing on Sundren, I didn't really know the ins and outs of DnD combat, but I've been forced to learn thanks to the encounters here. Which is nice, DnD's magic system isn't as daunting as I used to find it anymore.

Fighters find the encounters in the early end of the game fairly easy, while dex/caster types find it somewhat difficult (but still soloable. I can solo Spittlefist caves now with any character at level 3 by approaching the fights in the proper fashion). Main thing is consumables are a bitch, making it very expensive to grind... that's the main issue with soloing, making sure you keep at least a 1 to 1 rate of money acquisition compared with consumable consumption. Which is fine. I have no idea what exploit Aux is mentioning (you guys know I tell you when I find exploits, and if I find it I'll be sure to let you know).

For DM encounters, however, I feel that in general they're much too easy. I'd like to see more DM events that have monsters as tough as the Bloodmaim mobs. Stuff that really makes players prefer to run than fight without having lots of PC or NPC support.
Old 11-29-2007
Nobility

Scavar will become famous soon enough
I haven't been in a DM encounter yet, so I can't really talk about that.

With PvE though, Soloing is a little harder then I'm use to but that doesn't make it wrong at all. The fact that it semi forces you to group is nice I find though, as it works really well in groups.

Two of better RPs so far involved me saving someone in a fight, and being saved, so I thought that was really cool. If it was up to me, and I know it's not at all, I'd leave them as they are, and increase xp by like .5%.

Only time can save the world now.
Immortality is your last hope.
For my existence to be true, Hell's Fire must burn hotter than Heaven's Cold Gates can stand.
Old 11-30-2007
Nobility

ipsissimus will become famous soon enough
The DM events tend to be easier mainly because the range of classes and levels, when you have a mass of the high end of the server in one area with a few scattered lower levels really it's a cake walk for us...which is probably why those bloodmaims couldn't die until a DM allowed it to.

Though when I went toe to toe with a bane wraith knight, I had just enough time to say "wow, this guy hits really ha..."

Team work, team dynamic, I've seen some encounters run so smoothly because everyone was working in harmony and many times watching a mass death because party member A and B thought C and D had all their healing magic quickened.

Unless there's some place I haven't been to yet, so far choosing your battles and being prepared for them, keeping a watch of your hps/spells will generally give you positive results.

"may your experience here be legendary." - Ipsissimus
Old 11-30-2007
Banned

ThePaganKing is a jewel in the roughThePaganKing is a jewel in the roughThePaganKing is a jewel in the rough
I think the areas are challenging; however, if you prepare properly, you can defeat most areas without too much effort. The preparation is the right party and the right equipment and pots. I think they could maybe be a bit harder or maybe not harder, but have the AI actually use spells that will really hurt, like stripping your buffs........hehe, this is easy with all my buffs, what...damn..ouch.....hey, where am I? I know that in NWN1, many classes that rely on buffs to survive died very quickly when their buffs were stripped. I had a cleric that was awesome against undead and such, but when he fought dragons that stripped buffs, he died pretty quickly.

I think the possibility of multiple or changing spawns is good if it can be implemented.
Old 11-30-2007
Nobility

Blue_Wyrm will become famous soon enough
Another thing I think greatly helps lower levels get started is the availability of armor pieces with temporary hit points. Having a larger buffer zone to experience fights before collapsing is a plus when you don't know the areas too well, in my opinion. So yup I think the level of difficulty is great like it is.
Old 12-01-2007
Adventurer

Rannarix will become famous soon enough
Think that while they encourage groups, they have a greater attraction to people building powergaming characters which have no RP viability.

Eagles may soar, but stoats don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 12-01-2007
Nobility

Sammael is on a distinguished road
From the point of view of a lvl 3 newbie sorceror - i.e. me - they're far too hard to do solo. In groups there's generally one or two powerful chars who can tank or work otherwise to ensure the rest of the group at least survives. But I haven't found a single area where I can work solo without dying.

This wouldn't be a problem if there were people on all the time who you could meet up with but that's not the case, and hanging around Jimmy's or the crossroads in the hope someone'll log in doesn't quite cut the mustard. It would be nice to have somewhere to get some action when there's no one else on; even if we're talking about very easy, very low xp reward npcs.
Old 12-01-2007
Developer

Saulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
From the point of view of a lvl 3 newbie sorceror - i.e. me - they're far too hard to do solo. In groups there's generally one or two powerful chars who can tank or work otherwise to ensure the rest of the group at least survives. But I haven't found a single area where I can work solo without dying.

This wouldn't be a problem if there were people on all the time who you could meet up with but that's not the case, and hanging around Jimmy's or the crossroads in the hope someone'll log in doesn't quite cut the mustard. It would be nice to have somewhere to get some action when there's no one else on; even if we're talking about very easy, very low xp reward npcs.
Keep in mind we are developing a quest system for solo play but the encounters you find free-roaming will not ever be designed for solo play. We also have our RP XP system in now so even if you aren't out fighting you will be getting XP regardless.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 12-01-2007
Legendary Hero

rustediron has a spectacular aura aboutrustediron has a spectacular aura about
Sorceror? having trouble soloing? lev 3? GET THE SLEEP SPELL!
With that I can solo out the muckspear village (minus the chief) with my level 4 BARD!
PWNGE! 'Nuff said.
Old 12-01-2007
Nobility

deepshades will become famous soon enough
I think they're a bit hard, but thats just slightly. Grimaxe hold is an example where you can be rushed easily by seven or eight orcs while being shot at by numerous archers that never seem to miss, and they're swinging giant battleaxes with x3 crit multipliers.

You'll probably be about a high enough level to take one crit at full life from the seven to five orcs that will be rolling for their auto 20 crits. Thats the only place I think is rather hard for the level you can really fight them for xp.

Its often even a very proficient meat shield will find himself at 80% life and then a random two crits from orcs with battleaxes will send his screen to the Forest of Eternal night as the rest of his less armored crew joins him in the next few moments.
Closed Thread