News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Website > Polls
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Archive of polls held on the site.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
View Poll Results: Are stores too expensive?
Way too expensive 12 22.64%
A bit too expensive 21 39.62%
They are on-target 12 22.64%
A bit too cheap 5 9.43%
Way too cheap 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2010
Developer

GodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
Right, I thought I said that?
I don't be knowin'. I was just reading and just started talking.
Old 02-17-2010
Nobility

Usurper has a spectacular aura aboutUsurper has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like me..lol
Old 02-17-2010
Nobility

KimKandor has a spectacular aura aboutKimKandor has a spectacular aura about
I haven't replied to anything in a long while, but this topic is one that's vexxed me for a bit so I'll chime in.

The problem stems from the cost of healing, a cleric/druid with the ability to heal in battle cheaply is able to gather money a factor of 10 times quicker than a fighter/non caster. I say only one thing needs it's cost adjusted, healkits. I know they aren't supposed to be used like candy but it would do huge amounts to balance the classes and give low lvl fighters an chance to gain the gear that will keep them somewhat marginally close in power as your average cleric/caster.

Everything elses cost is just fine now as gold is not hard to attain if you lower the cost of healing. So PL, instead of grating your knuckles you can polish your nails and edit the cost of the healkits with the other hand and maybe a few cure potions as well

Ariel - Cirion: "Glasses, when did you start needing glasses?"
Sergei - Arawen: "Nice to see you too Blue Eyes"
Anynduil - Elrylyn: "An ..."
Old 02-17-2010
Legendary Hero

Phantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant future
I think our eventual plan is to do away with magical heal kits and replace them with non-combat-use bandages. These bandages would indeed be cheaper, but it would improve the value of potions that can be used in-combat. A good point though
Old 02-17-2010
Developer

GodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant futureGodBeastX has a brilliant future
Maybe you guys didn't notice, but I made potions maximized. Healkits are inferior to potions now IMHO.

Cure Critial wounds heals, like 40hp. And it always does max HP.
Old 02-17-2010
Nobility

KimKandor has a spectacular aura aboutKimKandor has a spectacular aura about
I don't think it was a healkit vs potion problem, it's more the overall cost of healing for the non magical fighter/item dependent PC which throws things out of whack.

I do understand that that as most of you know Ariel was joined together at the hip with Evananda, hence making her one of the richest PCs on the server most of the time. Why? mad offense and free healing. The free healing means never having to leave, never spending a coin on kits, potions.

Now if everyone had their own personal healer this cost aspect would never come up, but most don't :P

Ariel - Cirion: "Glasses, when did you start needing glasses?"
Sergei - Arawen: "Nice to see you too Blue Eyes"
Anynduil - Elrylyn: "An ..."
Old 02-17-2010
Nobility

BedlamX is a name known to allBedlamX is a name known to allBedlamX is a name known to allBedlamX is a name known to allBedlamX is a name known to allBedlamX is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Maybe you guys didn't notice, but I made potions maximized. Healkits are inferior to potions now IMHO.

Cure Critial wounds heals, like 40hp. And it always does max HP.
I noticed...and my fighter and rogues are most appreciative of it

...when they can afford the potions, that is
Jakomyn Moriarty: Misunderstood Calishite mage (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Jakomyn_Moriarty)
Turin Greyhold: Ex-mercenary paladin of Torm (http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.ph...reyhold,_Turin)
Alexandros Pentacost: 1/2 Orc Cleric of the Red Knight
"Remember, Private..Friendly Fire is not a nice warm place you and your hippy buddies sit around at night toasting marshmallows and singing Kumbaya." --Me to one of my troops way back when
Old 02-17-2010
Adventurer

Kajae has a spectacular aura about
The following includes gross generalization. Viewer discretion is advised.

I'd agree that there's a rather large imbalance in effectiveness between Casters and Scrappers, particularly due to the rather short resting cooldown; before level 6 and after level 10, a player can effectively keep their spells running permanently as long as they can find a place to rest. While they may not have the same damage output as a Scrapper, Casters certainly have a significantly greater deal of survivability (damage reduction, concealment, AC through the roof, healing, etc.), which means they can go longer and do more even if they progress more slowly.

Additionally, they generally don't need to worry much about upgrading their gear, since many defensive and offensive bonuses would overlap with those granted through spells. Ironically, most Casters in NWN end up becoming Eldritch Knight-types (even without using said PrC) because AoE damage-dealing spells are fairly impotent when Hit Dice rolls are maximized, and there aren't enough spell slots to effectively utilize only single-target damage spells. So you've got a lot of wizards walking around self-buffed out the wazoo and hitting things with their staves. When their spells are about to run out, they rest, rebuff, and start at it again. Unless, of course, they have a meat shield, in which case they stand far behind and use a crossbow rather ineffectually. Plink.

Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians, and the other Scrapper classes all do need to worry about their gear, though, which means not only are they spending much more money on healkits, but also more just trying to have equipment that's up to snuff. It's very difficult to match the AC of a Caster just using magic items, when geared appropriately to a equivalent level, and the other special bonuses often come at a price.

Even if the Casters were spell-slinging, as opposed to being Buffomancers, they'd still be away from the front lines and wouldn't need healing anyway.

While this may be offset in PnP somewhat, through fewer resting opportunities, reagent costs, sacrifices/behavioral requirements for Clerics/Druids, and most of all, prepared parties, the fact of the matter is that the game (both DnD and NWN) aren't designed around total balance. Fighters do well at low levels. Casters do well at high levels. Fighters do well at high levels only if they're well-geared and/or have a Pocket Caster.

Since the Developers have said that they want people to work in groups instead of soloing, there are a couple solutions that I see, as far as equality of dungeon-running goes:

-Implement the much-discussed Dispel Traps, which would certainly throw a wrench into the otherwise powerful Mages/Battlebishops without really harming the gear-dependent folks. Bring a Rogue to disarm the traps, or bring a guy with a Big Stick who doesn't care about magic removal.
-Increase the Rest cooldown. Ten minutes is kind of short, in my opinion, and seems to sort of push the Buff-Fight-Rest-Rebuff course of action.
-Tack a Reagent Cost onto Arcane spells, and some daily Tithes to the church for Divine casters. Alternatively, maybe have high-level Arcane/Divine spells incur Fatigue like Crafting does; after all, constantly manipulating eldritch energies is taxing on the mind and body, and a God isn't going to do everything for you, now is (s)he? A similar system was in place on another server, and it seemed to be rather effective at preventing frivolous spellcasting. GBX knows what I'm talking about.

Alternatively, the cost of Fighter/Rogue/etc. gear and supplies could be reduced, but that might lead to a whole new slew of problems, and not just logical ones.

Last edited by Kajae; 02-17-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-17-2010
Legendary Hero

Phantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant future
While I appreciate the post (and agree with it), it is WAY off-topic

Let's reign it in please folks!
Old 02-17-2010
Adventurer

Kajae has a spectacular aura about
Er, right.

Prices are fine. We just need to get Casters spending more!
Closed Thread