News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Website > Polls
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls Archive of polls held on the site.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
View Poll Results: What should be the maxiumum stat bonus on items?
+3 26 34.67%
+4 25 33.33%
+5 12 16.00%
+6 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2010
Legendary Hero

Kaeldorn is a name known to allKaeldorn is a name known to allKaeldorn is a name known to allKaeldorn is a name known to allKaeldorn is a name known to allKaeldorn is a name known to all
Not a popular opinion I am aware, but I wouldn't be against toning down the more über spells instead of beefing up items in order to maintain the balance and to keep it low magic...

Of course, I don't even really play here anymore, so whatever goes. I just hope poor Zork will be saved the trouble of rebalancing stuff
Old 01-28-2010
Legendary Hero

Phantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant futurePhantom Lamb has a brilliant future
Folks, please stay on topic. Even those that don't play here any longer! Let's limit our scope to stat bonus discussion--I posted this for a reason. Thanks
Old 01-28-2010
Hero

Zoberraz is a glorious beacon of lightZoberraz is a glorious beacon of lightZoberraz is a glorious beacon of lightZoberraz is a glorious beacon of lightZoberraz is a glorious beacon of light
It's my feeling that Sundren loses little by allowing people to access the full range of +1 to +5 weapons, simply because that's what Dungeons and Dragons does.

Having multiple properties per weapons sounds good too, though I feel that the more powerful pluses a weapon has, the more properties they should hold as well. I dislike the thought of plain +5 swords. If someone made a +5 sword, then it's an powerfully enchanted weapon that should be special, that should have a defined identity.

Stat bonuses? Same argument. D&D has +2 through +6 - so, I feel it's fine as well to have them around. In fact, D&D makes the +6 stuff easy to have around level 12-15. I'm not saying you follow the exact same formula (otherwise, we'd see mithral around level 4 and that's definitely not happening)... but it's important to remember that casters get access to such boosts around level 3, they can make those last a lot longer around level 5... and by level 10-14 they get spells that give much larger statistical benefits (that druid turtle natural ac spell, for example).

I'm not fond of flaws showing up in magical items, however. For example, the cloak Kaeldorn posted with the light radius? That's possibly a disadvantage for some. Not everyone is fond of beer with a bad aftertaste. The same goes for magical items.

That's my opinion.

Yes, this may mean many high level people having many high powered magic items by the end... but that's not any more ridiculous than a server having several level 15 characters. Or crazy gnome necromancers and undead cows.
Old 01-28-2010
Legendary Hero

Fezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud ofFezzik has much to be proud of
If you're really ambitious with the crafting, instead of just "failing" and lossing the money, you could throw in "errors".

"Damn, my +3 Longsword is near anything that breaths within 30 feet it squeels? [-10 move silently]... I'm going to have to have a talk with that wizard!"

Anyway, I chose +4 to balance the stats from spells.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
Cybil Gelley (Retired)
Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.
Old 01-28-2010
Legendary Hero

Thief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to all
I dont think +4 on stats will unbalance the game since most character can run around buffed to the hilt.

i.e. Falmari casts DC23 Bulls Strength on Mitee the Fighter. It lasts for thirty two real time minutes and increases his strength by +4 (+6 if empowered). He might also cast freedom of movement and stoneskin on him with a side order of barkskin and superior resistance of which the latter has a massive 24hrs or untill rest duration. Which is more overpowered; stats or spells?

As far as I know they dont stack. So aside from in PvP combat it makes little difference what source the bonus comes from as long as the price is right. imo a plus four item should be a elven lifesavings (about 700+ years)
Old 01-29-2010
Adventurer

Captain Caveman is a jewel in the roughCaptain Caveman is a jewel in the roughCaptain Caveman is a jewel in the rough
Kind of a tough one for me, I joined Sundren because it had the +3 limit on most things and I prefer low magic settings but I see the need for a new tier as well, what we have is somewhat lacking for higher level charactors who are not crafters.
It's hard to discuss it without leveraging the talk of casters into it but I'll keep it short and on point.

I'd say +4 for a stat bonus item seems reasonable ( costing extreme gold and/or lvl restricted), it's something that going to be on all the time 24/7 on your person ( even if surprised ) with +5 an extremely rare DM given for "above and beyond" type RP maybe.
Old 01-29-2010
Nobility

TheBrogueadier is a glorious beacon of lightTheBrogueadier is a glorious beacon of lightTheBrogueadier is a glorious beacon of lightTheBrogueadier is a glorious beacon of lightTheBrogueadier is a glorious beacon of light
+5

However, +4 should be the highest player craftable (which is what I’ve voted for), with +5 reserved for DM ultra-reward (as Capt.Caveman said).

While it might be nice to have a low-magic setting, it’s plain to see that Sundren isn’t (Previously I would have said different, but I’ve had a bit of a rethink).

All that limiting item bonuses to +3 does is encourage a proliferation of cleric/FS and mage/sorc classes, creating the opposite of a low magic setting – If you want low magic, make all magic using classes PRC or application only.

Plus, a large portion of the NPC enemies on the server seem to have high stat items, so why not the player.
Aedan Gilter - Dreamer of broken dreams.
Henry L. Jones - Oh god, I can see forever.
Old 01-29-2010
Legendary Hero

gbbishop is a splendid one to beholdgbbishop is a splendid one to beholdgbbishop is a splendid one to beholdgbbishop is a splendid one to beholdgbbishop is a splendid one to beholdgbbishop is a splendid one to behold
I think kael's example of the +3 cha cloak was nice. It illustrates a very powerful item in my mind. least for the diplomat. For me, though, I would not mind seeing +4 or even +5 and if you are gonna hit +5 why not allow for +6.

Really I do not want to see crafters pumpin out +5s. perhaps rare metals meterials and/or an insane craft fatigue (75ish) could help mitigate. Let just say, I would like it to be possible, but there needs to be some serious effort on the part of the crafter.
Old 01-29-2010
Developer

Cornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbishop View Post
... and/or an insane craft fatigue (75ish) ...
I'd agree that fatigue needs some adjusting (or perhaps even removal). We're playing in a world were you can have a severed limb regenerated instantly if you know a cleric or druid of sufficient level, and the life draining powers of the undead can be prayed away in the bat of an eye. However, the drain from making two sets of full plate will sap you persistently for a month. One wonders how Braxis or Foulbreath manages to walk up a flight of stairs without collapsing.

Old 01-29-2010
Legendary Hero

Urithrand is a glorious beacon of lightUrithrand is a glorious beacon of lightUrithrand is a glorious beacon of lightUrithrand is a glorious beacon of lightUrithrand is a glorious beacon of light
+3. I think people are letting their objectivity become a bit skewed here...

Corny, don't make me slap you for derailing the thread again

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."