News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Sundren General Discussion
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sundren General Discussion General Discussion about Sundren.

Subforum: Sundren Custom Content RP Schedule

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 04-17-2013
Legendary Hero

thaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornuto View Post
+20 RP points to any dwarf that doesn't speak with a Scottish accent.
-20 RP points to any elf. Period.
LOL. Fine. Since I'm getting -ve RP points anyway, I'm going to make an ELF with a Scottish accent.

Previous Characters: Altherion Goldleaf, Silverleaf, Lanathas El'thariel
Old 04-17-2013
Developer

Cornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant futureCornuto has a brilliant future
What hath I wrought!?
Old 04-17-2013
Legendary Hero

thaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant futurethaelis has a brilliant future
Oh just you wait Cornuto...you will regret this >

Angus McElfington: "Oi! Damn'd Dwoofs! Y' canae be cootin doon tha trees, theys sacred t' Croilon!"

Dwarves: *speechless*

((damn, how do Dwarves write like that on a regular basis...its tough!))

Previous Characters: Altherion Goldleaf, Silverleaf, Lanathas El'thariel
Old 04-17-2013
Legendary Hero

Thief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to all
Elves are always better with Irish accents and lots of crazy siblings
Old 04-17-2013
Nobility

KingArthur is a jewel in the roughKingArthur is a jewel in the roughKingArthur is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Navarre View Post
Elves are always better with Irish accents and lots of crazy siblings
I think that is just the irish.

Source: 100% irish

Tas Krita- Thayan
Ashen - MoMF

Old 04-17-2013
Nobility

Biohazard89 is a jewel in the roughBiohazard89 is a jewel in the roughBiohazard89 is a jewel in the rough
Best Idea ever for a Commical Adventuring party.

A Clean Shaven Well mannered Dwarf.

A Bearded Uncouth Elf

oh the laughs i would get outta this xD
Old 04-17-2013
Legendary Hero

Thief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to allThief Of Navarre is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard89 View Post
Best Idea ever for a Commical Adventuring party.

A Clean Shaven Well mannered Dwarf.

A Bearded Uncouth Elf

oh the laughs i would get outta this xD
Unfortunately elves cannot grow beards due to their strange unmanly physiology. A shame I know, elves would look awesome with fur..
Old 04-18-2013
Hero

Intrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant future
Of Dwarven Names

Dwarven names in the Realms can be long and complicated. And so for those earnest souls perusing this thread in the hope of nuggets of inspiration or explanation, we present this handy summary.

Dwarves in the Realms bear a first name, to which are added various qualifiers or additional names.

Among dwarves it is usual to use the clan name eg "Dorn Bladebite".

A clanless or exiled dwarf, or one seeking to conceal his identity, might use the name of his hold or kingdom. For example, "Dorn of the Deep Realm". If the kingdom is large the dwarf might be more specific eg "Dorn of the Firecaverns".

A dwarf not willing to give even that might say "of the dwarves", eg "Dorn, of the dwarves". When said to another dwarf this is an insult.

A dwarf with a famous father or grandfather might add "son of" or "grandson of". Eg, "Dorn, son of Tyrtar". The female equivalent is "daul of", eg "Dorna, daul of Tyrtar".

If the ancestor is particularly famous but more than two generations removed, the qualifier "blood of" might be used. Eg, "Dorn, blood of Gordrimm"

If Dwarves of the same clan share a first name, then a personal qualifier might be added. This could be a deedname, eg "Giantsbane", or a descriptive name such as "One-Eye".

These various names can be linked together as the dwarf sees fit. The name he gives will fit the situation.

For instance, in a formal situation we might hear of "Dorn 'One-Eye' Bladebite, son of Tyrtar, blood of Gordrimm, of the Firecaverns of the Deep Realm"

Veteran adventuring dwarves or dwarves of particular rank may add various other titles and deednames, which can serve as a potted history of the dwarf's achievements.

There are many exceptions to the general rule, however, particularly among adventuring dwarves. For instance, when among humans adventuring dwarves may use a nickname or deedname to avoid angering or shaming his clan. For example, "Dorn Firedrake". As well, those who live among humans and have no clan affilitiations often take a human last name.

In short, dwarves can be realistically named pretty much anything the player wishes.

There are many other variations, and clans may have their own particular naming traditions. But this will allow you to make sense (at least OOC) of most situations. Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2013
Hero

Intrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant futureIntrepid42 has a brilliant future
What do the Dwarves eat Underground?

Good question. I must admit to being one of those who likes their imaginary magical world to make some sort of sense, or at least be internally consistent. As I'm here currently enjoying (limited by work duties at present, damn) the Forgotten Realms in one of it's most impressive forms, you can conclude that Faerun makes sense. Or at least enough sense that I can agreeably focus on more pressing issues. Such as Duergar, hordes of Orcs, vampires and barbarian tribes. Bah.

There are two major schools of thought on the matter.

1. In the "Default" DnD world, we have the word of none other than Gary Gygax himself:

Quote:
Cheese
Fungi
Meat
Roots
Vegetables
other

("Have you ever wondered? About Dwarfs and Gnomes." Gary Gygax, 2002)

Dwarves enjoy root crops and fungi, but also consume bread and other sorts of vegetation that only grows in the sunlight. This means that dwarves trade with humans and their light-dwelling ilk for such things. And lets face it, stouts are much better miners than farmers, so extensive trade makes sense.

You might note the spelling of the plural of dwarves he uses. Dwarfs vs Dwarves is a whole other topic, however. And I'll need a few topics in reserve if Doubtful holds out for more than a month before declaring a winner. You'll know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel when I resort to it.

The plot-based reason for such things is that dwarves could keep themselves alive stuffing their faces with grubs, worms and other revolting underground flora and fauna. But that just isn't cool enough for the dwarves. And for that I am thankful.

However, what about those holds that are DEEP underground, or sealed away (known as the "Hidden"). There are rather quite a few of them in the Realms. It'll be grubs and worms every day of the week, right? And even those things rely on composted vegetable matter. Not a lot of life two miles below ground, surely?

2. Go Underdark! (Faerun-Specific)

Thankfully, no.

As an underground world for the dwarves to live in is pretty cool, the Gods have decreed that there should be one. Sure, it's also got some drow to give the dwarves something to bash. And hideous tentacled monstrosities in every corner. If you don't have tentacles or axes you're in big trouble down there. The deeper you go, the nastier they get. But, it's mainly there for the dwarves' benefit. Truly.

Quote:
"Most of the Underdark’s plant life consists of a tremendous variety of fungi. Fungus normally requires some amount of detritus or decaying material to thrive. So where does the fungus find its food? The answer is simple: magic. The natural magical radiation of the Underdark and its various planar connections support many weird fungal growths, as well as lichens, mosses, and other simple plants, whose existence would otherwise be impossible. In effect, faerzress is the sunlight of the Underdark, forming the basis of the subterranean food chain. Underdark regions particularly rich in faerzress or planar energies have been known to support fantastic forests of pale, gnarled trees or crystalline plants. These growths are completely adapted to their lightless, hostile environment."
("Underdark", 3E. This edition is FR-specific, unlike the 4E equivalent, as far as I am aware)

Plus there is a whole ecosystem of animals for the dwarves to eat, all based on a magical energy-based ecology. And even magically-radiant crystals in rare caverns allowing surface plants to grow.

The grain of the Underdark realms are fungi, and there are numerous examples.

Quote:
"Bluecap: The grain of the Underdark, bluecap fungus is inedible to humanoids, but its spores can be ground to make a nutritious, if bland, flour. Bread made from bluecap flour is usually known as sporebread. Bluecap seems to do well with or without faerzress, and most Underdark humanoids cultivate it."
But what do they brew Ale out of?

Also an excellent question, but we're out of time for today. Stay tuned!
Old 04-26-2013
Administrator

Doubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond reputeDoubtful has a reputation beyond repute
Well, it's the day before I jet off for my training, so I think we can call this one done for now. Both sides have had their chance to say their piece and they both have!

The dwarven constitution seems to have won out in terms of posting, the dedicated delvers certainly outdid themselves, but the elven supporters put in a valient showing!

Seeing as the demand was to inspire me, I think I can hand on heart say that BOTH of the sides have done so - With that in mind I'll work up something for both races as a little way of saying thanks, expect to see the first thing wend its way in game in a few weeks.

My thanks to all who posted, feel free to carry on!