News   About   FAQ   Statistics   Player Options   Downloads   Gallery   Forums   Donate   Wiki   Staff   Jobs   Links   Contact Us

Go Back   Sundren Forums > Sundren Community > Suggestions
Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suggestions We would love to hear what you think would make Sundren a better place. Please posts your suggestions here.

Welcome to the Sundren Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2012
Dungeon Master

[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future[DM] Grinning Death has a brilliant future
This entire thread has turned into a #9 Dead Horse topic.

Saulus hath spoken on the matter, and that's really all there is to it. However, I know the community feels a need to speak on the matter further, and so I'll be closing this thread by the end of the workday (approx. 5 hours from now) unless another DM see's fit to shut it down first or it takes a nasty tone.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 01-10-2012
Hero

Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidcocjn View Post
Here is why people call Sundren a Low-Magic world:
That could say that Sundren is a Pancake Server, but the lack of pancakes in it would kind of suggest that such is a bit off.

Just as the fact that favoured souls, Clerics and mages are the primary classes would suggest against low-magic.

Irony is, throwing gear in that goes up to +5 without needing DM help and easier access to items that give the more essential buffs would probably reduce the amounts of said classes, overall lowering the feel of the world being super-high magic.
Old 01-10-2012
Hero

Dragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud ofDragor has much to be proud of
A few things I want to point out.

The sundren wiki is editable by anyone who creates an account for it, I've done it myself. There is some very outdated information on there that I would update except I think that changes to portions of it should be done by the staff since alot of it is the Sundren Rules and Sundren Info sections.

NWN2 was not designed around the DM client like NWN was, it was designed around the single player campaign, which is why there are several spells that were made up by obsidion to make the campaign playable by caster classes, as well as spells like Death Ward which were modified to do more than they did in NWN.

When your on the server there is such a thing as sending tells to get parties set up, however with an avg population of 16 there is going to be times when there is no lvl overlap and no-one wants to switch charachters. (people will switch charachters)

Alot is made of mechanical OPness, and there is built in mechanical OPness in D&D and NWN2, I am opposed to removal of the first and in favor of changes to decrease the effect of the second.

I think the encounter rebalance will go a long way to resolving a lot of issues I have with this server and I hope it will give the dev staff time to focus on making areas more dynamic (aka takes skills to get through sections) and creatign new area's for lower and mid level ranges.

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Old 01-10-2012
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothoir View Post
All of your characters are PrC'd spellcasters. Items mean nothing to you.
I lol at this statement. Sure items aren't as valuable to a caster as they are to mundane classes, trust me I know because I have plenty of none caster characters also. Also if you think leveling an arcane trickster is so easy (try being 5 levels lower as a rogue and 3 lower as a caster, you pretty much suck until around 14th level ish then you stop being terrible and move into the bad category) with poopy items then you go right ahead and make one. Mythradin had to suck up RP trickle for a lot of levels. Jericho is Straight Cleric and he has terrible items also and he sucks. Hashan was created to basically do my own thing with because RP with Mythradin only got him Perma killed which I seem to remember clearly it being stated it would be unfair to do so, yet it was being pushed for anyways.

Decado is tied to the hip of casters, he is Mundane and I have determined that is his fate. Though no caster will ever be able to wreck face as much as Decado does.
Old 01-10-2012
Adventurer

pidcocjn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Root View Post
That could say that Sundren is a Pancake Server, but the lack of pancakes in it would kind of suggest that such is a bit off.
I was just answering his question as to why this server could be referred to as a Low-Magic server. I was not addressing whether the former statement is correct.

01/04/2012
Old 01-10-2012
Developer

Saulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond repute
I consider it low magic because of this: The maximum bonus I can apply to an item is +20... the most you might see on a rare item is +5... most spells can't push past +5 and we've gimped a number that could or would be of greater benefit.

You can debate till the cows come home about how PnPs low magic stacks against NWN2, how another server does it, etc... But when it comes down to it, it's just a word "Low magic". If you want to call it medium in your head, no one is stopping you. Our standpoint is it's low magic, perhaps high fantasy though.

Again, just words, without a whole lot of meaning other than a general idea of loot availability. Also I will note that redoing all loot tables (or making some for the vast amount of areas that have none) is another priority for our large coming update. So what you will expect to see is more +1, +2 items dropping, and +3 or +4 becoming more common on certain bosses.

The drop chance won't be very high, but it will be there, and there will start be a circulation of more powerful items that aren't rep restricted. The best items will always go in this order:

DM > Crafting > Faction Store > Drop > Regular Store

This really isn't changing what's currently available so much as increasing what's available. Crafting is another topic altogether which is why there is a larger focus on better items for Faction Stores right now.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 01-10-2012
Hero

Satoshi is a splendid one to beholdSatoshi is a splendid one to beholdSatoshi is a splendid one to beholdSatoshi is a splendid one to beholdSatoshi is a splendid one to beholdSatoshi is a splendid one to behold
The only thing you could do better in that post, Saulus, is give us an ETA. Awesome to hear things directly.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancÚ, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.
Old 01-10-2012
Legendary Hero

ManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant futureManUtd4Ever has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulus View Post
The best items will always go in this order:

DM > Crafting > Faction Store > Drop > Regular Store.
Super appropriate IMO.

The only comment I would like to make before this thread is closed is that I would enjoy playing a Melee Toon soooooo much more if potions (consumerables) were not so damn expensive.

I can purchase a Heal Potion (11th level) for over 800 gp that can restore 110 HP. My cleric uses three spell slots to keep three Greater Restoration spells on him at all times. Each costs him about 150 gp. He has saved many a team mate with these spells, and I am capable of restoring a lot more than 110 HP.

Any improvements to gear is nice, but simply lowering the cost and availability of consumables will go along way to making Melee Toons more viable. Hell... most faction stores don't even have critical heal pots. And some have no heal pots at all.

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2012
Developer

Saulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond reputeSaulus has a reputation beyond repute
ETAs are meaningless when you deal with a volunteer group. My work varies, and thus so does my time... and admittedly I enjoy other games other than NWN2 (if I didn't I wouldn't be playing NWN2 still).

What is most important to me is not releasing a half baked update but giving everyone something meaningful that will have the impact the staff desires. I could say it would be a stretch to take another 6 months on the items I mentioned (as in, likely a lot less time).... But things change, and it's not like our staff is available to work 9-5 on Sundren.
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Old 01-10-2012
Hero

Mournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to beholdMournas is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulus View Post
What is most important to me is not releasing a half baked update but giving everyone something meaningful that will have the impact the staff desires. I could say it would be a stretch to take another 6 months on the items I mentioned (as in, likely a lot less time).... But things change, and it's not like our staff is available to work 9-5 on Sundren.
We all know that twice baked potatoes are so much better than half baked. If you have never had a twice baked potato then I am sorry for you (You being the current reader of this post). =)