Sundren Forums

Sundren Forums (http://www.sundren.org/forum/index.php)
-   News (http://www.sundren.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   State of the Server (9/24/15) (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24426)

Lotus 10-07-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Despite what you say GD, I maintain that they were still better handled than drow, warlocks and the rest.
I think vampires were about 50/50 thoughtfully chosen / drunkenly designated.

Kasso 10-07-2015 11:34 PM

Quote:

I think vampires were about 50/50 thoughtfully chosen / drunkenly designated.
More literal then you'd think.

Fuzziebunny 10-07-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamestarmike (Post 174665)

Also Sestra Tournament when?!

<3 for you Gamestarmike! I only meant that Chime wasn't important in any server faction. She was all about Aquor. Also,

Sestra Tournament when?

Talleyman99 10-08-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzziebunny (Post 174669)
I only meant that Chime wasn't important in any server faction.

Ouch... first Brams not Dains friend, now Chime wasnt important to Brams part of the legion...

Also of two minds on the events, while they could be fun little hurrah! I also don't want to take away from the staffs time, so that our new Sundren is done on time and will have as many bells and whistles those working hard on it can fit in.

Requiem 10-08-2015 12:25 AM

The decision to remove vampires was fairly unanimous by the staff. Those who have played vampires did nothing wrong, and it is not in any way an attack on their roleplay talents. Instead, we want to restore some of the mystery and fear of encountering a vampire and not the "oh yeah, he comes around most nights to hang with his buddies and maybe threaten the local paladin." There is also a mechanical issue to address. If we cap levels but then give certain players the vampire template, they gain a +5 ECL on top of their level cap. It really tips the playing field, especially with the accommodations we made for vampire characters such as being able to cross running water and some of the reductions in efficiency for holy symbols and garlic. So we discussed it and decided to remove PC vampires for now. If you still absolutely need a vampire fix might I suggest this or these as I found them to be pretty good RPGs.

As for other classes/races being application restricted, the thought process is fairly similar. They are rare and/or very difficult to play well. By making the process application-based, we make sure that those characters are well-planned and thought out, and in the hands of roleplayers who are taking it seriously. Has the process been perfect in the past? No, absolutely not. Should we completely discard the process just because it has not worked perfectly? No, absolutely not. If a player's perception based upon the process is that we as staff are being snobby, elitist know-it-alls then that player is looking to be offended. We are simply trying to maintain a cohesive story and a population that reflects the setting. We want every player to feel equally special and important to the narrative by what they contribute, not by the race or class they are playing.

thaelis 10-08-2015 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekov (Post 174663)
Sundren itself has had a number (but admittedly a small number) of eye-rollingly terrible snowflake concepts around that weren't in any way hindered by the application process. Prancing idiot vampires, paladins with the same approach to lawful good as Darth Vader, characters switching between Bane and Lathander every other week, and so on.

I have to say, as long as they are roleplayed well then none of those characters mentioned have much of a negative impact on the server, except perhaps the one that switches sides every week. They also add some (sometimes much needed) comedy.

What I dislike personally is the 13yo kid Paladin *walks up to campfire, detects evil repeatedly, draws sword* "I sens you r evil, in the name of my mitey God Latanader face venjence!"

Applications processes are awesome.

(then again, I'm guessing at this point no one playing NWN2 is a young kid any longer!)

Lotus 10-08-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Applications processes are awesome.
The best.

Redjack 10-08-2015 01:42 AM

I would like to say I was honored to be able to play a vampire character.
I felt a great responsibility to stay in character in what I perceived a vampire should be (horrid and demonic and cruel) and not abuse the power and ruin other players fun.
Vampires were not a easy character to play due to the constant conflict you encountered outside of your faction and sometimes within your faction.
I found it draining to play at times since I had to project myself into a character the opposite of who I am. I hate conflict in real life, very painful for me.
Yet my characters always seemed to be in conflict and I believe everyone usually had fun with it on either side.
All the same I thank the staff for the opportunity to play a vampire, the experimental, server test run vamp that he originally was and I thank the players for putting up with Clive.
Love you all.
And Clive sends his hate.

Nyssis 10-08-2015 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DM] Grinning Death (Post 174629)
Just as a note, we've killed off all the elves in a terrible fire.

http://i.imgbox.com/8TW1f2M0.jpg

thaelis 10-08-2015 08:21 AM

Elf: "Did I feel something?"

*shrug*

"Must be my imagination..."

https://gaileyaneza.files.wordpress....6/acc03111.jpg

[DM] Grinning Death 10-08-2015 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rekov (Post 174663)
I would rather risk having a few bad apples slip through before being nipped than have a pristine but empty server, of which there are so, so many these days.

I'm gonna try to let this topic rest here because I could go on forever about it, and that doesn't lead anywhere good.

We certainly could, but I agree in that it boils down to a difference in viewpoint. As a DM, I'd much rather deal with a short screening process than clean up after an OOC shitstorm when that warlock drow is inevitably murder/death/killed by a paladin (or any other PC) around a campfire and cries foul; further creating OOC hurt feelz.

In any case, as always, we're open to suggestions.

Doubtful 10-08-2015 12:38 PM

Prevention is better than cure. Simple as that really. The team are always happy to look at bios and help, where needed, tailor them to suit the setting and the server.

Otherwise, back to the elf burning! (it's a lie, and a smokescreen for our new planned elf themed location, Freedomtopia, a veritably verdant village. It has unicorns and everything).

Kitsunestume 10-08-2015 02:12 PM

Since it seems to have been forgotten by the wayside, I would just like to verify the entire cause for this hubbub to begin with:

Was it proven that a Vault-Wipe actually would solve the rep-issue, or is that still going to be a problem once the server is officially revived?

ManUtd4Ever 10-08-2015 04:11 PM

All of this discussion about the server post wipe is really getting me excited about playing. I need to start writing a bio. Can the staff provide any insights (big hand, small map) about the new Sundren post wipe with the time jump? Do the current city governments remain the same or is there an increase in local governments self-policing and moving away from the Emperor and his legions? Does nobility gain more lands and holdings? Etc. Are there any new trade dynamics that pre tell the rise and fall on commodities based towns or companies?

[DM] Grinning Death 10-08-2015 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManUtd4Ever (Post 174680)
Can the staff provide any insights (big hand, small map) about the new Sundren post wipe with the time jump? Do the current city governments remain the same or is there an increase in local governments self-policing and moving away from the Emperor and his legions? Does nobility gain more lands and holdings? Etc. Are there any new trade dynamics that pre tell the rise and fall on commodities based towns or companies?

https://quizsocial.com/quimg/8-ball/results/2.jpg

ManUtd4Ever 10-08-2015 04:25 PM

Well played.

Saulus 10-08-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsunestume (Post 174679)
Since it seems to have been forgotten by the wayside, I would just like to verify the entire cause for this hubbub to begin with:

Was it proven that a Vault-Wipe actually would solve the rep-issue, or is that still going to be a problem once the server is officially revived?

Seeing as nothing in the codebase of the game changed since the issue started, it's only logical that the database being in a clean state should fix the problem, as reputation is entirely database driven.

Elusa 10-09-2015 03:30 AM

On a fresh subject: What can rogues expect? I have a plan for one, if the server is suitably hospitable to them.

Lugwy 10-09-2015 04:52 AM

Someone bent my ear towards these forums once again. I take it the server wipe hasn't happened yet.

I don't mind once it happens, though. It was a good run and I learned a lot from my time here that was put to good use outside the server. Furthermore, it's always nice to start on a clean slate. :)

Speaking of clean slates, I'd like to echo Elusa's question. As I'm idly toying with ideas for less-than-combative characters, it would be nice to know what place would be available for people not as inclined to earn their EXP and keep through bloodshed.

thaelis 10-09-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugwy (Post 174688)
As I'm idly toying with ideas for less-than-combative characters, it would be nice to know what place would be available for people not as inclined to earn their EXP and keep through bloodshed.

Speaking of which, did Combat Medics ever get buffed? I remember there being a long and well-received thread composed of much TL;DR, but did it ever get done?

Saulus 10-09-2015 09:44 AM

Everyone should go watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and we can have a bunch of monks practicing Kung Fu.

Fuzziebunny 10-09-2015 02:14 PM

With the lower level cap, will there be any lessening of the requirements for some of the religious based classes such as heartwarder, dread master, horned harbinger, storm lord and Ice fury? None of them are uber powerful, and they do require at least 3 feats to obtain. Is there any chance it might become easier to play one of these restricted classes? Also, what will be the fate of Hand of Mundus and Triadic Knight?

gamestarmike 10-09-2015 02:41 PM

Haven't they all been easy to acquire? All you have to do is write a bio and you're good to go when staff wakes up and reads that stuff, right?

[DM] Grinning Death 10-09-2015 03:10 PM

The prc classes are being looked at, yes. Futures for all the faction related classes are being discussed as well.

Requiem 10-09-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulus (Post 174690)
Everyone should go watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and we can have a bunch of monks practicing Kung Fu.

If we give monks full BAB instead of the crap they get traditionally, I will grow a giant Pai Mei beard in anticipation.

Saulus 10-09-2015 03:49 PM

It's all about attacks per round, flurry baby.

Mournas 10-09-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulus (Post 174696)
It's all about attacks per round, flurry baby.

This and those extra attacks are all at you max BAB, which is quite good! Their fist damage is to compensate for possible lowish Str builds that want to focus Dex and Wis. Monks are pretty sweet.

jarlexel 10-09-2015 05:35 PM

She was talking about the feat requirements,Mike. The new Toa done that with their level 15 max server. Like weapon master only required 3 feats instead of six ect ect

ManUtd4Ever 10-09-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mournas (Post 174698)
Monks are pretty sweet.

I have to agree... but would add Pure Monks are super sweet. They may become less popular with a level cap at15 given how critical Empty Body and Perfect Self are to a monk's survival.

gamestarmike 10-09-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarlexel (Post 174699)
feat requirements

Oh. Woops. :cool::rolleyes:

Fuzziebunny 10-14-2015 03:18 PM

Will there still be PC nobles and faction/city leaders? I know the mechanical advantages were addressed in a previous post. But, I was rather curious about the RP advantages. I personally think working your way up to positions of power was always one of the more interesting things that Sundren offered.

[DM] Grinning Death 10-14-2015 04:10 PM

There are no plans to get rid of them, currently. But I think you'll want to take stock of the political field before you request to make any.

FoogooFish 10-15-2015 05:27 PM

I was quite pleased to hear that there will be another chapter in Sundren history. :)

zypherman 10-20-2015 12:34 PM

(My apologies if this has been posted somewhere else already) Has there been any indication if Whurst will join the Aquor city faction one the wipe comes?

[DM] Grinning Death 10-20-2015 01:16 PM

We haven't posted any faction details as of yet. Expect one within the next few weeks.

zypherman 10-20-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DM] Grinning Death (Post 174814)
We haven't posted any faction details as of yet. Expect one within the next few weeks.

Thanks for the update!

Fuzziebunny 10-27-2015 12:19 PM

I actually had a few hours off the other day so I was considering builds and stuff. Are the same classes and races currently restricted going to stay restricted? Will others join the restricted class or race list, will some leave? Is this way to early to be asking?

jarlexel 10-27-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzziebunny (Post 174843)
I actually had a few hours off the other day....

Actually had a few hours off, You poor thing, is why we love our troops :) .

I been working on builds too, what is the blood letting feat it's not a feat selection but a requirement for assassian? I noticed that about other feats too.

Talleyman99 10-28-2015 01:35 AM

Feats like that are in place because classes like assassin have a RP requirement to be one.
Thus that feat can not be taken openly and is given by staff when that requirement is fulfilled

Lotus 10-28-2015 12:35 PM

When we're "done," every prestige class will have an RP feat requirement, most of which will be satisfied by a quest given by the prestige class's "trainer."

All currently restricted races will remain restricted. Paladin, Red Wizard, Thayan Knight, Warlock, Hellfire Warlock, and Dragon Disciple will still require applications to play, consideration of which will be weighted by tenure on the server, disciplinary record, number of such classes currently in play, etc. That is, if you've been around and aren't a negative influence, you're going to get the thing once the bio is nailed down.

Other restricted classes (Doomguide, Dreadmaster, Heartwarder, Horned Harbinger, Hand of Mundus, Ice Fury, Stormlord, Triadic Knight, Shadow Thief) will be unrestricted but have aforementioned quest requirements.

Sword Saint will disappear.

Samurai will be renamed, re-lored, tweaked, and relaunched.

No class as it currently exists will be nerfed. Many classes will be buffed.