Sundren Forums

Sundren Forums (http://www.sundren.org/forum/index.php)
-   News (http://www.sundren.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   State of the Server (9/24/15) (http://www.sundren.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24426)

jarlexel 10-28-2015 12:59 PM

as far as Doomguide, is Kelemvor still dead?

[DM] Grinning Death 10-28-2015 01:06 PM

As a doornail.

Sparkie 12-10-2015 03:28 PM

Alright, so, a question or two about submitting character bios for after the wipe:

For these retirement plans, are the staff wanting us to write these as in character tellings of what our character's plans are, in the style of an RP post on the forums, or done as a simple out of character description of their plans?

And while on this topic, is that Dropbox that was mentioned still where the staff were wishing to have these sent?

Thanks, and see ya's server side.

[DM] Grinning Death 12-10-2015 04:52 PM

Well, hold off until the Epilogue event. After that, I'll start adding things to the wiki, and people can make a projection based on that. And yeah, a proposed ending for your PC and all the juicy details.

greypawn 12-13-2015 12:15 AM

Can we play drow now? I have a paladin concept I want to try out.

Doubtful 12-13-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greypawn (Post 175091)
Can we play drow now? I have a paladin concept I want to try out.

Steven! Fetch the pitchforks and torches, I feel an angry mob coming on!

greypawn 12-13-2015 05:10 PM

I roll seduce on all the peasants and show them my dark elf boobies, in a respectful paladin way.

On an actual thought, whats going to happen with the religion/deities? Faerun regions often have a few dominate deities that influence/reflect their local culture. Sundren has always had so many. Take the port, for example, it has/had Umberlee, Selune, Valkur, Ilmater, Waukeen, and Helm? Thats a lot of religions with a physical presence in a port town of 4000. Waterdeep has a population of something like 130,000 and only four dominate religions. Ten Towns has something like 6,500 people and it has one dominate religion. I'm not saying players shouldn't be allowed to play a character that follows whatever deity, because many people have played adventurers/wanders/foreigners, but it'd be nice to see the local faith a bit more solidified.

[DM] Grinning Death 12-13-2015 05:48 PM

Religions won't change much, tbh. There will always be the presence of however many gods, because it is Faerun. But actual temples are fewer in number.

1. Avanthyr has Helm/Selune
2. Aquor has Sune
3. Sestra has Bane/Myrkul
4. Sundren has Helm/Triumvirate

Torgar 12-13-2015 06:05 PM

You forgot one GD.

5. Blackwood has Kyle Rendell

[DM] Grinning Death 12-13-2015 06:17 PM

My apologies. The temple even has this amazing portrait of him:

http://promotime.md/wp-content/uploa...78559_full.jpg

Sparkie 12-13-2015 07:28 PM

Praise be, praise be. *bows head in reverrance of the great pectorals*

JuneyGnomey 12-14-2015 06:59 AM

Hello.

I have barely played in recent years, but I do drop by from time to time to read what's up in Sundren and so on. I have read a portion of this thread with interest and as much as I do like the idea of a character wipe, as a (very) casual player, I am a little disappointed about potentially never being able to play my troublesome Gnome ever again.

Juniper was very much just an NPC; I had no wish to advance her, she was as far from an "adventurer" as possible and generally spent her time offering poor advice, poor humour, cultivating as many poorly-chosen friends as possible and generally failing at life before having one of her bi-annual public meltdowns.

Levels, equipment, advancement, items - a badly-adjusted Gnome cares little about these things, and her player even less.

I'm really just politely venting / having a nostalgia trip here, I certainly don't expect an exception to be made for me and my rubbish character; but I will miss playing her and it's a shame that I will no longer have the option/opportunity to log on and spout bad advice and terrible jokes after a server wipe since I'll be unable to remake my non-adventuring Gnomish alter-ego.

Much love! x

Kasso 12-14-2015 07:15 AM

While you won't be able to re-roll Juniper outright, I don't see anyone stopping you from rolling a similar character post-wipe. I don't think the staff are trying to be fun-police in that sense.

Welcome back by the way. :)

Requiem 12-14-2015 10:54 AM

We tend to be more this sort of fun police.

http://assets.rollingstone.com/asset...1397836074.jpg

Doubtful 12-14-2015 11:10 AM

Alas, if we were to make exceptions for one then we'd need to make exceptions for many.

I'm sure many of us have characters we're attached to or would like to see exploring the brave new world, but better to either start afresh with new ideas or to take the essence of the characters we love, give it a good wash and a shake, add something new and bake a new PC pie for all to enjoy.

[DM] Grinning Death 12-14-2015 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubtful (Post 175108)
. . . a shake. . . and bake. . .

Shake and bake?

https://images.rapgenius.com/e32fe9e....600x451x1.jpg

JuneyGnomey 12-14-2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubtful (Post 175108)
... and bake a new PC pie for all to enjoy.

Pie... or cake? Cake or Pie?

Yep, really gonna miss her :)

DM Inquisition 12-14-2015 04:58 PM

It's already been proven you can pie a cake.

https://youtu.be/TereMXIMyBA?t=263

jarlexel 12-14-2015 10:16 PM

Maybe Juniper had a daughter that acts a lot like her mom.

[DM] Grinning Death 12-14-2015 11:00 PM

As a reminder, we are not allowing direct descendants. Fun policed!

JuneyGnomey 12-15-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarlexel (Post 175114)
Maybe Juniper had a daughter that acts a lot like her mom.

That just... wouldn't be fair on the world.

Masaryk 01-17-2016 08:01 PM

Time to redownload NWN2 again and prepare for my wife's question of "Why are you playing such an old game?"...lol

Doubtful 01-18-2016 12:21 PM

Update on the Update!! - 2016-01-18

Kapow!
Or, news.

OK, long and the short of it is that the update is going to take place slightly later than we'd hoped for.

Our initial target was for January 2016 and everyone put in huge amounts of effort and hard work to try and get us there. If you haven't yet then I'd strongly recommend reading the updated information in the fantastic Turning of the Seasons thread.

Unfortunately I completely underestimated the time it'd take to put together maps at the quality we're used to here in Sundren. Without the maps being in place to give you some notion of the more dramatic changes in play it'd be rather pointless running the wipe and update. With this in mind we think it best to delay the update's launch until mid-late February.

Once I've got the core maps done and on the server we can progress with the update.

In order to keep all you folk updated I'll also be making best use of my dev thread to show what's going on, and after launch I'll put together a 'going forward' spreadsheet so you can see what's being planned and what's underway!

If you've any questions, concerns or thoughts regarding the update then please, have at it :D

Farmboy2003 01-19-2016 05:31 AM

I'll probaby be done getting all the shelves, pictures and lamps up in my new house by then, so that fits perfectly. I'll let you know if I need more time!

Good things take time.

Masaryk 01-25-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubtful (Post 175351)
Kapow!
Or, news.

OK, long and the short of it is that the update is going to take place slightly later than we'd hoped for.

Our initial target was for January 2016 and everyone put in huge amounts of effort and hard work to try and get us there. If you haven't yet then I'd strongly recommend reading the updated information in the fantastic Turning of the Seasons thread.

Unfortunately I completely underestimated the time it'd take to put together maps at the quality we're used to here in Sundren. Without the maps being in place to give you some notion of the more dramatic changes in play it'd be rather pointless running the wipe and update. With this in mind we think it best to delay the update's launch until mid-late February.

Once I've got the core maps done and on the server we can progress with the update.

In order to keep all you folk updated I'll also be making best use of my dev thread to show what's going on, and after launch I'll put together a 'going forward' spreadsheet so you can see what's being planned and what's underway!

If you've any questions, concerns or thoughts regarding the update then please, have at it :D

Exciting news! Thanks for the update.

Thief Of Navarre 02-08-2016 08:34 AM

Havnt been on in a while so won,t seem like such a hit to lose the vault. Best of luck!

Artemis 03-18-2016 09:05 AM

Server needed this for a very long time. After the first version of the module with the whole 'end of the world' thing it didn't seem much of an impact with storyline. I mean, I have no place to say since I was barely around to experience it, seemed a bit dwindling. There was a lot going on with my real life and I did not do well with the sudden change in the 'moving forward' plot. I lost my favourite characters and their factions. I was bitter I suppose and rumbled with staff a lot about it. I apologise for the ignorance and the pointless drama in the past, especially with Lotus since he was my prime target, and quite frankly I don't even know why. Perhaps it has been too long to remember or I just don't care any more. I could have been a great DM as well and Saulus gave me that opportunity once and I blew with my short sided and erratic RP ideas. So once again my greatest apologies to the staff and their vision for this module. NWN will always be my favourite game and it's innovators like you that make these experiences possible to give its replay value.

Artemis
a.k.a.
pixiegirl (which for some reason I can not seem to access this account anymore. Don't remember my email. I have too many.)

Talleyman99 09-24-2016 01:02 PM

So. One year, one long year since this post was made, and all the ups and downs that have gone with it.

Doubtful 09-25-2016 01:28 PM

Yup. A long year indeed.

Torgar 09-27-2016 06:17 PM

Is there any chance we have enough of the core items completed now that we can save the more minor cosmetic changes for a later time, so we can get the server going again? I really don't want JAN 2017 to be the next potential date of server renewal. Are factions good to go, are classes finished, is crafting finished? Are we just waiting on maps, or is everything still needing to be finished for some reason? Just trying to get a feel for how much we all are actually waiting on. If it's just maps, then awesome. If it's literally all the things still, then what's going on? Would probably help if we had another big update about what all is actually firmly finished now, and what is still being worked on.

So basically, was wondering if we all could hear about the state of:
1. Factions
2. Crafting
3. Classes
4. Maps (I know you have your development post Doubt, this is more about asking if enough of the maps are done that we could potentially release and just clean them up as we go.)

If 1-3 are done, and the maps are mostly finished but still need polishing, I think at this point we as players would be happy to go ahead and deal with unpolished maps for the few area's that changed, as long as the other 3 things are 100% completed. The rest of Sundren is beautiful enough we can put up with a few less perfect maps for a bit, we're all just really eager to hop back in and RP with each other again on new characters.

Sorry if this at all came off as impatient or rude, I know we said we were fine with waiting back in april, but I am not sure we thought we'd still be waiting almost 6 months later, and was just wondering if in that time if almost everything is 100%. Sundren at 100% mechanical readiness and 80% beauty readiness is still 60% more beauty then the next closest server, so I think we'd be happy with that for now, and then the maps can be perfected at whatever pace our wonderful mapper doubt can manage it at.

thaelis 09-28-2016 06:54 AM

^Has a valid point.

It'd be nice to know if the crafting, class changes and storyline changes are done at least.

I agree with Torgar that the maps could be done as patches if everything else is already done (if such a thing is even possible!)

Doubtful 09-29-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torgar (Post 176368)
Is there any chance we have enough of the core items completed now that we can save the more minor cosmetic changes for a later time, so we can get the server going again? I really don't want JAN 2017 to be the next potential date of server renewal. Are factions good to go, are classes finished, is crafting finished? Are we just waiting on maps, or is everything still needing to be finished for some reason? Just trying to get a feel for how much we all are actually waiting on. If it's just maps, then awesome. If it's literally all the things still, then what's going on? Would probably help if we had another big update about what all is actually firmly finished now, and what is still being worked on.

So basically, was wondering if we all could hear about the state of:
1. Factions
2. Crafting
3. Classes
4. Maps (I know you have your development post Doubt, this is more about asking if enough of the maps are done that we could potentially release and just clean them up as we go.)

If 1-3 are done, and the maps are mostly finished but still need polishing, I think at this point we as players would be happy to go ahead and deal with unpolished maps for the few area's that changed, as long as the other 3 things are 100% completed. The rest of Sundren is beautiful enough we can put up with a few less perfect maps for a bit, we're all just really eager to hop back in and RP with each other again on new characters.

Sorry if this at all came off as impatient or rude, I know we said we were fine with waiting back in april, but I am not sure we thought we'd still be waiting almost 6 months later, and was just wondering if in that time if almost everything is 100%. Sundren at 100% mechanical readiness and 80% beauty readiness is still 60% more beauty then the next closest server, so I think we'd be happy with that for now, and then the maps can be perfected at whatever pace our wonderful mapper doubt can manage it at.

It doesn't come across as rude, it's perfectly understandable. We're way behind our initial schedule and it's pretty normal to wonder what the heck is going on!

Right now I've got a very narrow focus of not going crazy and getting the mapping done, outside of that:

Story, Factions and Lore were all worked through by the DM team under GD back for our initial launch. All that side of stuff is largely wrapped up and ready to go.

As I understand it the rest of the stuff should be ready to go in as soon as the mapping is done, though Lotus would have a better understanding than me.

If it's the case that we're really just waiting on maps and people are happy to roll with the bodges I've made then we could go with it and update as and when it's possible. It depends on exactly what's missing.

Fury 09-30-2016 12:15 AM

I bit my tongue back in July, but... yeah. Saying we're ok to wait doesn't mean we're ok to wait this long. I realize the need for patience and understanding, since this is an entirely unpaid job, but most everyone I know has become convinced the Sundren update is vapor-ware.

I think none of us will complain if you just... get the city back on the ground, and then we can update as we go. Most of us just want Sundren back, period. Even if it's not perfect. I think we've waited long enough.

Doubtful 09-30-2016 05:26 AM

If I'd have known how this year was going to pan out back in September last year then I wouldn't have agreed to take part.

Back then I was blindly optimistic that the move North would be simple, the job smooth, the baby trouble free and easily placed in school leaving me plenty of free time to get my business up and running with a product ready to take to Decembers 2016s trade show, get Sundren done and generally have a great life in one place after years of international commuting.

Instead it's a year later and I find myself looking back on what has to have been the worst single period of my life so far. I've had to move house 4 times with a probable 2-3 more moves to go before we have a chance to get finally settled. Right now we're in a small temporary apartment with an 'office' space co-opted from boxes and bits of furniture. We've lost thousands to a fraudulent landlord and been forced to spend thousands more in agency fees and so on as a direct result with little to no hope of ever being able to recover the money. Our jobs and base remain clouded with uncertainty, with massively increased hours and demands for precious little extra in the way of reward, while I am part-time my non work days are a mixture of house hunting, lawyers and childcare that leaves no functional personal time. My marriage has never been under so much strain and is cracking in some pretty important places due to the stress of all, we still love each other dearly but the pressure of everything means even the smallest of things can be stress-inflated to epic proportions. Not to mention the ridiculous problems with Windows 10.

Back in May/June I almost walked away from Sundren completely, needing to find a way of offloading some pressure. My wife convinced me to stay committed even if it was literal minutes a week.

I don't particularly see things getting much better any time soon. We're moving between temporary housing while we try to borrow enough money to be able to rent properly again and both my wife and I have parents who're currently in and out of hospital with end game illnesses. My son is finally at school, currently for a massive 3 hours while they do the 2 month long 'slow introduction' but will at the end of that be in school for 6 hours a day. While that may seem like a kind of light at the end of the tunnel it'll probably turn out to be a mob with torches, bats and a tire and petrol ready for a necklacing.

With that in mind and your feelings expressed here I think it's best if I just commit what I have completed so far in its unfinished state to the SVN. This should take place ideally by the end of this weekend but possibly not until as late as Tuesday 11th. This should allow the rest of the team to place NPCs and make what changes they feel are needed. I'll make no concrete commitments for work on Sundren going forward, but will provide what updates and changes I can as time and life allow.

My ongoing situation means I don't have any game usable broadband (very data limited 4G connection) so I won't be joining you in game as a player or DM until that's resolved, although I sorely wish I could. Being able to get some good RP in right now would be soothing.

Lotus 09-30-2016 12:07 PM

Full-time job. Sometimes two full-time jobs.
One-year-old daughter.
Bought a house.

I don't feel even a little bit bad that it's taking this long.

Factions
Have been renamed and reassigned. Still need to create stores for them and hope that nothing broke in the reassignment.

Class Changes
Some are in, some aren't. These aren't core updates, anyway.

Crafting
Still incomplete. It works as it did before, with the same problems associated with scripts trying to create items for which blueprints don't actually exist in the module and the need for all crafting components to be accessible without DM intervention.

Maps
We can more or less work with what we have, though we need the city on the ground and a few updates in a few locations to match lore progression.

In the meantime, how would you guys feel about free play? The server's still up, so we could make a few of you temporary DMs to run non-canon quests for each other in the interim and at your leisure. Since we're vault wiping when we eventually finish with this stuff, there's no lasting harm.

Farmboy2003 10-03-2016 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotus (Post 176373)
Full-time job. Sometimes two full-time jobs.
One-year-old daughter.
Bought a house.

I don't feel even a little bit bad that it's taking this long.

Doubt: listen to this man. I've had my second child, bought house and switched jobs since you started updating. I'm looking forward to the update, ofcourse - but other more basic things take precendence man!

Thief Of Navarre 10-05-2016 10:07 AM

I concur. I feel it can take as long as it takes, I still have things installed and patched ready to go.

Doubtful 10-05-2016 12:25 PM

I spent a little time over the weekend linking up the maps and making some minor cosmetic tweaks. Once I have time I'll upload this to the svn, though as before this is unlikely to be until after the weekend/Tuesday. The maps aren't populated with NPCs, but hopefully we can get some pokes out for that.

I'll also see about putting together a builders module. One thing that's really going to slow things down is not having good appearances. Helping will make things go faster.

I know it shouldn't stress me, but it does. Back when I first joined I was in the position where I could dedicated 20+ hours a week with ease. These days it's a fraction of that time, often without being able to do anything at all during work blocks. It eats at me that I've got the responsibility but life keeps frustrating my attempts to fulfill it and I feel bad that I can't dedicate as much time as I did.

Once this lot is on the svn and the builders module is up (I'll dump it on dropbox or googledrive for you) I'll be taking a break for a bit. after taking stock of my situation the other day I realised that I need a pressure release and as such I've taken on some paid freelancing between my next work blocks and don't want to feel bad that I'm not spending my time here. That'll take me to mid November.

Once I'm back I can assess the submitted items and appearances people have put together and populate the shit out of some maps.

kovah 10-05-2016 03:17 PM

Don't feel bad. I say drag it out as long as you can. Increases the chances that one of us wins the lotto and just throws money at you to finish it. =)

Memnoch1962 10-07-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubtful (Post 176377)
I know it shouldn't stress me, but it does. Back when I first joined I was in the position where I could dedicated 20+ hours a week with ease. These days it's a fraction of that time, often without being able to do anything at all during work blocks. It eats at me that I've got the responsibility but life keeps frustrating my attempts to fulfill it and I feel bad that I can't dedicate as much time as I did.

Doubt, don't ever let things beyond your control stress you. Your Family is your main concern. This is a game. It is true that we all want to get back to playing, but in all honesty, this game is not worth you sacrificing your family for it. As far as I can tell people can still log into the server as it was and play. There would be nothing wrong with us playing in the old Sundren until the new one is ready. Take your time and do what you can when you can.